Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanks-giving.

Ready or not here comes the holidays! It is so hard to believe that Thanksgiving is just two (truly one) days away. What kind of traditions does this time of year bring for you?

Thanks...
I've been seeing a lot of facebook statuses this month everyday listing something they are thankful for or (like I did last year on Thanksgiving day) listing something they are thankful for, for every letter of the alphabet. I LOVE reading them and I love to think about the things that I am thankful for in my life. But, why only list our thankfulness around Thanksgiving? Why do we really dwell about it then? Are there not blessings every day of every year? Is it our families being so close? Is it the "warm fuzzies" that the holidays bring? I am not asking these questions to say that everyone is ONLY thankful around Thanksgiving... I know that is not the case! But can't one agree, we tend to really think things through in the holidays. After all, holidays create some of the best memories of our lives with our loved ones. Yet, they can be the hardest times when you think of the holes left in our hearts when our loved ones are not there or have passed on.

I too, have been reminded of thankfulness this month. I am healthy. I have a wonderful job. I have great friends. I got to have my husband home for the holidays safe! I have an outstanding family. I truly don't need for anything physically or emotionally. But, I feel almost selfish to think, I don't recognize these everyday and I ask God all the time to show me his will and show what to daily seek out. It's all in front of me, all the time and how often do I take it for granted. God has blessed me so immensely and I do not deserve one ounce of it. We all do not and sadly, we are in a society that makes us feel entitled. So entitled that we deserve what we have and more. We are truly a selfish society and that is devastating. I found this video "googling around" on the internet and it is so true at how blind we are to our daily blessings... the smallest ones. Take a look at "Thankful":


I am praying that God really works on my "thankfulness meter," not only this Thanksgiving, but all year because truly I am blessed. What about you?

Giving...
I always revert to Romania (a lot actually) when I think about some of my greatest blessings that taught me what giving does for the soul and for others. God has planted this unbelievable seed of love and yearning for these people that I can't even begin to explain. I truly don't think there is one day that passes that I don't think about Romania and the sweet people there. I can't wait to go back!! This is our missions month at church and I've heard a lot of people talk about their experiences and I have missed Romania in a terrible way. But, in all my thinking of thankfulness, I can't help but think of them. They may not have every physical need met, like most of us do. But they are so rich in heart, love and family... they truly have it all. The first example that just pops in my head is while we were making the drive in from Bucharest to Brasov. We passed a lot of the countryside and small homes a long the way. Homes that most would frown at and say "I wouldn't live there." A lot of the homes have dirt walks leading to them. As I looked out the van window, I see a woman, sweeping her dirt walk and there are flowers here and there. And her tiny home, although not much, looked so loved and taken care of. That action alone, shows pride and thankfulness. Also, any time we were working, every person that went through the doors into our little make shift clinic... they always expressed thanks. But that isn't why I chose to give my time and my gifts God has given me. I wasn't looking for a thanks or a warm fuzzy. I chose to give because God commands us at Christians to give all that we can. But how often do we disregard the call to give?




Giving isn't always easy to do and excuses always loom. The economy is tough and we might not have the finances. We might be busy and the time just isn't there. The world gives us distractions and we may not pay attention. I won't lie, I was on my way running into Kroger to pick up a couple of items to back with, less than a 5 dollar purchase for sure. I had 7 dollars in my purse (in cash... a rarity with me because I hate carrying cash) and I see the salvation army at the door ringing that sweet little bell. It was rainy and I wanted nothing more than to just dash in without a handful of purse and umbrella in tow but I knew, I could definitely use my card for the purchase and I needed to get over my wants for the day. So, I gave my 7 dollars and smiled... it felt great. It didn't take much, a huge financial effort or strain on time... Just a simple drop. So, if it feels SO good when we give, why do we not give more often. Giving can be as simple as a compliment to a hard working co-worker, a couple dollars to the Salvation Army, adopting a family for Christmas or giving all you can to go on a mission trip. No matter how big or how small, I promise, God blesses you immensely.

So, my question and thought amongst the ramble, what will you give amidst your thanks this year?


This might make absolutely no sense to anyone but myself. But I guess this is "my space" to share my thoughts, so here they are. I hope you all have a safe and great Thanksgiving full of thanks and of giving, as well. I'll leave you with a picture of just one of the many things I am so thankful for...

Welcome home to my sweet and awesome hubby! Also, welcome home and God bless to all the guys who went with him and deployers who returned home for the holidays!

Live. Laugh. Love and Thankfulness. :)

Melissa











No comments:

Post a Comment