Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Today is a good day... yes it is.

I had a patient today in clinic who asked me to call him "Charlie." Charlie is probably one of the sweetest elderly patients I have EVER had at the VA hospital. I was getting started with all of my stuff and I began talking with him while I worked (yes, I AM the hygienist that talks to my patients with my hands in their mouth like they can talk back, Ha Ha) and I quickly learned that Charlie was a very neat person with a very neat story. He began to tell me how he fought it WWII and he goes around to schools, clubs and churches and speaks about his amazing story! I learned that he was a crew member on a B17 that was shot down over Germany during a bombing mission. After falling several thousand feet at a pretty high velocity, Charlie found that he was the only survivor of this horrific crash. He was able to walk from the rubble only to be confronted by a German solider. Charlie said "That German looked at me and I knew then and there that he'd probably kill me, take my dog tags and turn them into American Headquarters and say he found me dead. But as he looked at me, he looked at the destruction at which I had walked from and he turned his back and spared me." I said to Charlie, "Wow, God had something really amazing planned for you because obviously he wanted you here. God has a funny way of putting us right where he wants us." Charlie looked at me and said, "You know, you are right. God knows even when we ask 'why.'" Charlie is right.

God, you have such a way of bringing things to my attention and preparing me so I can better listen to you. Thank you. Thank you for my blessing of Charlie today! You knew I'd need him and his knowledge!

Prepare yourself for a more personal note here but it's my blog I'm allowed! Feel free to quit reading! I had been having a pain in just one spot on my left breast. I felt around that area to find something very "sobering" (if you will)... a lump. I tried to think maybe this is normal (and it may be...) but it is a large lump and I can't deny that. So, I went to my Mom and she showed concern too.  More opinions... more concern. After my cervical issues in January and February... it is very sobering and I'm not going to lie... the "what ifs" and "why God's" are really hard to avoid. But Charlie is right, God knows why and what, even though I will question him to no end. God doesn't make mistakes ever. So I ask for prayers as we figure out what this lump is and I will keep posting in the days ahead.

Heavenly Father, thank you for providing me with peace.

Now normally, I post "Today is a good day because" to remember the happy lady in the post office line the day I found out about the Cervical stuff and to remember that Today is ALWAYS a good day when it is spent in the Lord's company! But today... I'm going to post the original "Today is a good day." Today is a good day because the Lord let me wake up and see another day. Today is a good day because God has provided a way for me and is patient with me! Today is a good day.

Until next time.
Live. Laugh. Love.

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment